Virtual reality is a billion-dollar industry with expected growth of over 21% over the next decade. Virtual reality is no longer just a game.
When you think of virtual reality, likely, you don’t associate it with drug or alcohol detox treatment. So, it may surprise you to learn that technological advancements in the field of addiction are on the rise. Today, virtual reality treatment is a real option and possibly part of the future of medical detox.
In the United States, more than 72,000 drug overdose deaths occur each year. This statistic shows the necessity of new technologies and methods to treat addiction.
If you are struggling with addiction and have tried different detox treatment methods without success, it may be time to try a virtual reality detox program.
To find out if it is right for you, we will provide more information, like what it is and how it works.
What Is Virtual Reality?
Virtual reality allows you to interact with a computer-generated environment that simulates real-life using special equipment, like goggles, gloves, or helmets. When you wear the gear, your eyes are guided through scenes that appear natural, even though they are not. Your movements are transferred through the equipment into a 3D virtual world.
For most people, virtual reality is experienced through gaming devices that allow you to be a participant in the game you are playing. With a virtual reality detox treatment rehab, it is slightly different.
How Does Virtual Reality Work with Rehab?
When someone in detox treatment puts on the virtual reality equipment, they are immersed in an online scene that provides many learning opportunities.
Virtual reality can be similar to exposure therapy that has been used in treating mental health and addiction disorders for years. The goal is to trigger a craving while in treatment so you can work on coping with that trigger during the moment with the help of a therapist.
Virtual reality is a supplemental therapy to medication-assisted detox programs that can be modified based on your needs.
Some programs are created to teach critical coping skills. As you move through the virtual scenarios, you are presented with obstacles you may encounter in real life. The people, places, and things that trigger cravings will happen. Practicing your reactions to those and implementing coping skills through virtual reality can better prepare you for post-treatment.
Virtual reality and rehab programs are a great addition to detox treatment because they act as a meaningful distraction from the physical and psychological discomfort associated with withdrawal. While the benefits vary for each participant, below are some common advantages.
Benefits of a Virtual Reality Medical Detox
As part of a treatment plan at specialty rehab centers in Florida, virtual reality allows you to have an enhanced experience in recovery. It is a learning tool that goes beyond individual and group therapy sessions. Below are typical examples of the benefits virtual reality helps with medical detox.
- You can complete guided imagery exercises to learn how to be mindful of your body’s mental and physical symptoms.
- You can practice relaxation techniques using virtual reality scenarios—for example, visual images of a beach scene with soothing music playing in the background. Guided meditations are also an option.
- As a teaching tool, you can learn more about mental health disorders that often accompany substance use disorders, like depression and PTSD. If you recognize symptoms, you can explore them further with your therapist.
- You can practice putting boundaries in place virtually so that you will know what to do when you encounter issues at home.
- You can practice refusal skills. For example, you can visit a restaurant or bar virtually and gain skills in turning down an offer for a drink. Triggers can’t always be avoided, so it is best to learn how to handle them in advance.
- You can practice relapse prevention techniques through experiential scenarios.
- You can participate in virtual reality biofeedback programs to ease pain.
Virtual reality detox treatment is a game-changer when it comes to helping you recover from addiction to drugs and alcohol. It can even benefit you during a pandemic.
How Virtual Reality Treatment Can Help During a Pandemic
As we all learned this past year, it’s easy to feel isolated and withdrawn from friends and family during a pandemic. If you are detoxing or early in your recovery, being alone can be a trigger for relapse. Other triggers when you’re stuck at home include boredom, being around friends or family members that cause stress and lack of social support.
Virtual reality detox treatment can solve those problems.
In addition, you can continue to receive quality detox treatment without the fear of acquiring COVID19 or any other virus. You don’t even have to wear a mask. You focus on recovering from the comfort of your home environment.
Recovering in the Comfort of Your Home
Recovery from addiction requires an environment that is safe and sets you up for success. Your home can be that place. You can recover in the comfort of your home. You can take steps to ensure your home environment is optimal for recovery:
- Keep your house clean and organized. A messy home can create stress and trigger a relapse.
- Eliminate potential triggers like drink mixes or paraphernalia.
- Maintain a routine. Structure helps in the early stages of recovery. Make sure you fill all your hours with positive activities.
- Get support from friends and family who are supportive of recovery. Connect with them several times a day via the internet or phone. You can also attend online 12 step programs.
- Use virtual reality programs to learn how to build healthy habits.
- Continue detox care with medical and mental health professionals via telehealth to ensure there are no lapses in your medication-assisted treatment.
Breaking free from addiction starts with the right detox program, one that makes your sobriety a priority and uses innovative technologies to help you succeed.
To find the right virtual reality detox treatment program, search for a “medical drug detox near me.” You will likely find the Summer House Detox Center located at 13550 Memorial Highway in Miami. We can help you experience the future of drug rehab treatment.
Call us at 1-800-719-1090. Let us help you start your recovery now.