Alcohol rehab is an important part of alcohol addiction recovery: it allows you to take time away from your day-to-day life to focus on your own recovery; it prepares you for a life without alcohol abuse, and it provides you with the coping mechanisms you’ll need to get through the difficult days. Yet why are alcohol detox and alcohol rehab so important? Why should you choose to seek alcohol rehab in Florida, let alone Miami?
The Necessity of Alcohol Detox and Alcohol Rehab
Drug and alcohol addiction treatment have two main goals: to help patients avoid a return to substance abuse and to gain back a normal, functional lifestyle at home, at work, and in their community. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, even people who seek addiction treatment and go through the full detox and rehab program recommended by doctors will sometimes return to substance abuse. Yet overall, those who seek help see an improvement in:
- Criminal activity reduction
- Occupational functioning
- Psychological and physical health
- Social functioning
- Substance abuse reduction
Why is this? Treatment for addiction—whether for meth, opioids, benzodiazepines, or alcohol—is usually broken into two sections: detox and rehab. First, a patient seeks detox treatment to help them put an end to their substance dependence. Detox is solely focused on this type of recovery, although most detox centers also help prepare patients for rehab. Subsequently, the patient transfers to another facility or begins rehab at the same facility, to learn how to avoid substance abuse in the future and how to live a healthier, more stable life.
Without the help of professional treatment, substance abusers and addicts often continue to use drugs and alcohol in dangerous and harmful ways that can eventually lead to long-term, serious consequences, up to and including, death. With detox and rehab treatment, people can learn how to avoid further abuse in the future and how to deal with their substance use disorders in a safe, healthy manner.
Why Choose Alcohol Rehab in Miami
There are many facilities that offer alcohol rehab in Florida. Part of the reason for this is that Florida is in the midst of its own alcohol abuse crisis, much like the rest of the country.
In 2015, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported there was between a 16.2% and 18.1% prevalence of binge drinking in the state of Florida. This is a significant statistic. Though many individuals understand Florida to have a severe opioid crisis, the truth is that alcohol abuse is just as prevalent in the Sunshine State. For example:
- In 2015, excessive alcohol consumption cost $15,322,200,000 in Florida alone.
- Between 2003 and 2012, more than 8,450 people were killed in car crashes involving drunk drivers in Florida (CDC).
- The rate of deaths by age per 100,000 population in 2012 in Florida was higher between the ages of 21 and 31 than that of the national average.
- Florida is in the 10th percentile for states that report binge or heavy drinking (Country Health Rankings and Roadmaps).
- Seventeen percent of Floridian high school students reported they drank alcohol for the first time before age 13 years (other than a few sips) in 2017. This was higher than the national average at 16% (Department of Health and Human Services).
This is partially why there are so many alcohol rehab centers in Florida offering help to both residents and nonresidents of the state. But why is Florida, and specifically Miami, one of the best places to seek alcohol rehab?
By the Numbers
Alcohol abuse is one of the most prominent issues among individuals who seek treatment for substance abuse in Florida. This is well-documented by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, which states that in 2013, more than half of the individuals in treatment for substance abuse problems had at least some sort of issue with alcohol abuse. That is, 15.7% of those in treatment in Florida had an alcohol abuse problem only and 42.6% had both alcohol and drug problems. 41% had drug problems only.
Statistics like these show Florida treatment centers are prepared to deal with alcohol abuse problems whether they are associated with drug abuse or not. In addition, they provide a window into what someone can expect in terms of other individuals with whom they will be associating when seeking alcohol abuse treatment in Florida. In many cases, the other patients at a rehab center will have at least some experience with alcohol abuse, making the ability to connect with fellow recovering patients easier.
Getting Away From it All
Whether you reside in Florida or elsewhere, it’s important to remember that part of seeking alcohol rehab is about getting away from the day-to-day grind so you can focus solely on your recovery. If you seek rehab treatment in Miami, you can do this easily. For example:
- Many people think of Florida as an ideal destination for a vacation. Though you won’t technically be on a holiday, you may feel that way due to the natural amenities of Miami.
- Miami is a big city, one that allows for anonymity among a comfortable, tropical atmosphere. This might be just the kind of mood that will help you get into a new headspace, one that can allow you to focus on your recovery.
- Rehab centers in Miami usually give you lots of room to relax and work on yourself without confining you indoors or even to one room. If you choose a rehab program in Miami, you are almost guaranteed space to breathe.
- No matter where you’re from, Miami is considered a place that will allow you to get away from your daily routine, to shake up your life, and to provide you with a different feel. This, along with a controlled treatment environment, is essential to recovery.
Reflection in Nature
Reflection is an enormous part of the recovery process. Being in a place where you can reflect on your past, present, and future is essential, and having access to natural surroundings is ideal. Many rehab centers in Miami offer proximity to the beach, perfect for contemplation.
If you’re thinking about choosing a rehab program in Miami, ask if the facility itself is on or near the beach or if those who run the program consistently make trips with patients to the ocean.
Open to Travelers
Florida is a destination state and Miami sees many travelers who visit the city every year. As such, the state is set up for out-of-towners and offers a comfortable transition for those who are just passing through. If you’re looking to seek treatment away from home, there’s no better place than Miami.
Florida’s Recovery Community
It may be due to the sandy beaches or the tranquil atmosphere, but many people decide to stay in Florida after seeking addiction treatment and establishing their recoveries. Miami alone has a strong recovery community that includes various 12-step groups, therapy groups, and other resources. You, too, may decide to start a new life in the Sunshine State.
Call to learn more about Summer House Detox Center
Summer House Detox Center offers safe, effective alcohol detox in Miami, FL. To learn more about our facility or to ask questions about recovery, rehab, and insurance, call 800-719-1090. Anytime, day or night, we are here to take your call and to help you build a real recovery, free from alcohol abuse.